The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
DRC will contribute to enhancing the self-protective capacity and well-being of displacement-affected communities through the provision of group and individual PSS services in Irbid.
DRC Jordan is looking for a qualified individual to fill the role of Protection Officer (Counseling) to provide one-one-one PSS support in Irbid.
About the job
The individual will report directly to Base Manager in Irbid. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Conducts outreach for potential PSS beneficiaries.
- Provides individual counseling for adult and child beneficiaries who have been referred for additional psychosocial support from group PSS sessions, case management or other DRC activities.
- Establishes strong referral pathways for beneficiaries requiring specialized MHPSS support, and makes timely referrals to these service providers.
- Ensures all sessions are recorded accurately and in a timely fashion in case files and on DRC Jordan’s IM system.
- Supports in the provision of structured group PSS activities, as required, in line with DRC Jordan’s PSS SOPs and DRC Jordan PSS manuals.
- Implements all necessary MEAL tools, including pre- and post- tests, with support from the MEAL team in base and the MEAL Technical Unit.
- Alerts the Protection field specialist and Base Manager of any concerns relating to implementation of DRC’s PSS activities.
- Ensures timely referral of cases in need of further support.
- Participates in internal and external trainings, as requested by the Base Manager.
- Undertakes any other activities, as requested by the Base Manager.
- BA in psychology or counseling. Masters is an advantage.
Required / Desirable
- At least 3-4 years of experience in protection work in international organizations and humanitarian settings, specifically including at least two years of experience providing one-on-one counseling to adults and/or children;
- Experience in providing trainings and building capacity of staff would be an advantage.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and prioritize the safety and dignity of beneficiaries at all times;
- Computer Literacy (Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Flexibility in working overtime when needed;
- Previous experience working with refugees in Jordan is an advantage
- Fluency in written and spoken Arabic & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Designation of Duty Station**: Irbid**
Start date: ASAP
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications:23 May 2020
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.